Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Ravenous Insatiable Hunger

I'm not really sure who reads this, but I feel compelled to write, and I know that good has come out of my efforts to get my genealogical mind dumping "out there" for others to read.

So, you who are reading this out in the great wide nether beyond, might have picked up on the fact that I have been working as much as I can on my Czech genealogy recently.

I feel a ravenous desire to find my ancestors. This feeling continually gnaws at my soul. Since the beginning of August, I have been spending almost all my free time engaged in one single thing: transcribing Czech land records. After years and years of frustration, I finally have found the method and tools that work for me to transcribe these records: collaboration.

I feel somewhat frustrated to be so reliant on others (mostly just one other researcher) to help me understand my records. But the truth is, I don't especially care about that. I mostly just want to read *and finally understand* the records. It is one of my heart's deepest desires: to read these Czech land records and be able to interpret their meaning. 

Right now I feel irritated because the Opava archives website's server is down (vademecum.archives.cz), and it went down right in the middle of my search in Gross Kunzendorf.

See, the trouble with my Czech lines is this: even though they did not move around very much, BOTH the parish registers for Gross Kunzendorf AND Vratimov are missing for the years 1785-1835. I have lines from both these places. Unless they magically appear (which they won't), I will need to rely on the land records to fill the major gap in the records.

The second irritating thing: I keep running into land records that I want to transcribe and translate...but they are in GERMAN. I'm just whining now because what I really want is to read right now are the CZECH land records.

Blah. What I need to do is sit down and really figure out what all my Czech genealogy "ends of the line" are, so that I can take them back. Grumble grumble.

The other fact is that my husband and I both jointly decided that it would be a really great thing for me to turn my genealogy research into my career. More on that later. But basically, that is why I have been spending so much time on the transcriptions: it is the key skill that I lack. And I am starving to learn more. It is almost painful how much I long to know how to read these records so I can understand what they say. It is a ravenous insatiable hunger of the soul. I cannot express this feeling with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment