Sunday, June 12, 2016

Why did I create a new blog?

After all, I already have a different blog here: Czech out your Ancestors!

I've been thinking about this for a really, really long time. I want to establish myself as an expert in Czech genealogy. I also work on a lot of other genealogy problems because guess what, 75% of my ancestors were not Czech. So where can I write about those guys and have it remain relevant to my readers?

I thought about making subpages on the other blog, but that never felt exactly right. The goals are different. I have this huge goal to continue to improve my research skills, experience, education, certification, and publishing in the specific niche of Czech genealogy, and to share my knowledge to help other researchers. Someday, when the time is right, I want to hang out my shingle again and start taking clients. Right now is not the stage of my life for me to be involved directly in the goal of running my own small business, but I can prepare for that day by blogging about things that I learn. I can't tell you how many times I have done a google search only to find the answers I was looking for on my own blog! Ha!

But, I also have other personal genealogical goals. The main driving force, my raison d'être for genealogy, is temple work. I want to do ordinance work for my own ancestors in the temple. Not only does this include my Czech ancestors, but also all of my other lines, and all of my husband's lines, too!

I am also a ward family history consultant, so I would like a place to blog about that experience. Meta-blogging. Not sharing the specifics of the individuals, but documenting what was helpful, what worked, what didn't work, how I want to improve, resources, etc.

That's a lot of non-Czech research related material.

And so this blog is born.

Between the two blogs, I have a ridiculous and somewhat silly goal of blogging about genealogy every day. Depending on the content, it will either be on my main professional blog, or on this more relaxed, mind-dumpy blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment